4 portions chicken breast
1 lime, halved
2 tsp taco seasoning
6 corn tortilaas
1 Tbsp olive oil cups fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
6 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth.
4 Tbsp salsa
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1. Cook brown rice accordgin to its package directions. While the rice is cooking, place chicken breasts in a shallow dish; cover with lime juice, and lightly coat both sides with tao seasoning. Then place chicken on a hot grill and cook for approximately 6 minutes on each side. Let the chicken cool slightly, then cut it into strips and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350* F and cut corn tortillas into 1/2-inch strips, then place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are crispy, then set aside.
3. While the tortilla strips are baking, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; saute until the onion is transparent, about 8 minutes.
4. Add cooked rice to the pot and saute for 3 minutes. Add green chilies and saute for 2 more minutes. Then pour fat-free chicken broth into the mixture and bring it to a boil. Add sliced chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmmer for about 25 minutes.
5. Place a few baked tortilla strips in the bottom of bowls, and spoon about a fourth of the soup into each. Garnish each bowl with a a few more tortilla strips, a sponful of salsa, fat-free sour cream, and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 55 minutes
Eating for Life Cookbook