Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Week 12: Buttercream Frosting

The other night, Ryan and I both wanted something sweet. Luckily, we had a chocolate cake mix, so we decided to make chocolate cupcakes. The only problem was that we didn't have any frosting. And what is a cupcake without frosting? So I went in search of a frosting recipe, and here is what I found:

1/2 c. solid vegetable shortening
1/2 c. butter or another 1/2 c. shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. Wilton butter flavoring (only if using all shortening)
4 c. sifted confectioner's sugar
1 to 2 Tb. milk

Cream shortening and butter with a hand mixer. Add the vanilla. Add the butter flavoring (ONLY if you are using all shortening and no butter). Gradually add sifted powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Gradually add 1 to 2 Tb. milk and beat on medium speed, until desired consistency.

The frosting can be stored in the refrigerator in an air0tight container for up to two weeks. Each time frosting is used, it must be brought to room temperature and beat again with the hand mixer for best results.

My Review:
Just so you know, I had zero shortening on hand so used all butter :) Ryan LOVED this frosting. I, however, who am the queen of frosting lovers (seriously...I love it), liked it, but wasn't a huge fan. So it's a toss-up. Personally, I'd rather just buy the frosting next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment