1 lb chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 tsp whitepepper
oil (for frying)
1/2 cup cornstarch,plus
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tablespoon ginger root,minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced (we use dried)
1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red chilipepper (we use dried)
1/4 cup green onion,chopped
1 tablespoon rice wine (orwhite grape juice)
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
(Note: Green=Optional Ingredient)
ORANGE SAUCEAbout 10 tablespoons of Panda Express Orange Sauce (available at Walmart, City Market/Smiths/Kroger, Lins, or at Panda Express Restaurants) (It is the same price at Panda as it is at the store)
OR 1.5 - 2 C sweet and sour sauce
1. Place chicken pieces in large bowl.
2. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, Stir cornstarch and flour together.
4. Add chicken pieces to cornstarch mixture, stirring to coat.
*NOTE: We double the egg mixture and the flour mixture so we can double coat the chicken (dip in egg, dip in flour, repeat)
5. Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
6. Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes oruntil golden crisp.
*NOTE: We've found that the oil fries off pretty quickly. We add as needed and usually end up having to use quite a bit more than the recipe calls for)
(Do not overcook chicken).
7. Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on papertowels; set aside.
8. Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat.
9. Add 1 tablespoon oil.
10. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant; about 10 seconds.
11. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions.
12. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds.
13. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil.
14. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
15. Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth andadd to chicken.
16. Heat until sauce is thickened.
17. Stir in sesame oil and orange zest if desired.